A simple question I asked my kindergarten students yesterday.
These were their responses (in order, and almost word for word):
- We write to practice writing books, because God might tell us to be an author
- We write to learn
- We write so we don’t look at what other people write
- So we can write what we are thinking
- We write to learn our letters
- If a person is sad, we can cheer them up by writing a funny story
- So they can learn more and so that when we write we don’t try peaking (at what others write)
- If we grow up and we don’t know how to write we won’t know what to do (at this my youngest boy said, “Yes, that makes sense, I think!” It was so cute)
- If we don’t know how to write the word we think with our head and write
- Sometimes, if we want to write a letter to God and we don’t know how to write we can’t do that
The kinders have spoken. What do you think? Why do we write?